It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Home Pool Cue Forums Chat Room Arcade PoolHall Directory Pro Events Billards Photos Web Links Contact Legal Notice Documents

Go Back   Billiards-Talk Forums > Pool & Billiards Discussion > General Pool & Billiards Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #1
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 20 Add to A-Train's Reputation Add to A-Train's Reputation
Networking:
Send a message via AIM to A-Train
It's time for honesty. How many balls can you run?

Lets say your opponent breaks, scratches and doesn't drop any other balls. With ball in hand and a decent spread on the table (no balls tied up, ect.) how far can you typically run before making a mistake and handing the table back over.

If you say you can run out and nobody is here to vouch for you being able to run out like 80% of the time, I will call BS and give you no e-cookies.

Myself personally, I could probably run to about the 6 or 7 pretty consistently. On a good day I could have some run outs, but I don't break and run out too often. I guess good days are hard to come by.

Your turn, don't be a foolish liar.
Signature: [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]I learn from my mistakes and laugh at yours. LOL[/COLOR][/SIZE]
A-Train is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #2
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 22 Add to djkx1's Reputation Add to djkx1's Reputation
I play the ghost a fair bit and what you describe is similar. Without any clusters or problems I would expect to run out at least 75% of the time. Playing the ghost in general, including tough racks, it usually goes back and forth and I average around 50-60%. These results are in practice, and I'm sure that in a match of importance my numbers would often be lower due to the pressure or nerves, even if the layout was the same.

I don't know anyone on here personally, so I guess I lack vouchers and therefore I may have to survive without e-cookies.

Last edited by djkx1 : February 12th, 2007 at 09:08 AM.
Signature: Take care, Darren
djkx1 is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #3
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to BHQ's Reputation Add to BHQ's Reputation
my best in 9 ball is 3 break & runs in a row, done that several times. can't get over the hump to get 4
straight pool is a 38 ball run ( i needed 54 to win)
one pocket is 1 break & run
i've got a certain knack for dogging the "easy shots"
lack of concentration i know
i'll usually pick stripes 90% of the time in 8 ball even if i've made a solid on break
the reason is, i'm so stinking colorblind when it comes to the 6 ball
it looks like the table to me
sometimes i get lucky & the number spot on ball is the aiming point
other than that, i can't see the green ball
i can't begin to count how many 9 ball games i've lost by doggin the 6
if i make the 6 on the break, i feel like i already won the game!!!
i hate the green ball !!!!!!!!!
Signature: [SIZE="3"][B][CENTER]i'm just an old broken down EX plumber
looking for a better way to spend my day
i finally found it
making sawdust
and having a blast doing so
;)
[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
BHQ is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #4
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 10 Add to Slowhand's Reputation Add to Slowhand's Reputation
During the 90's I was playing over 10 times as much pool per week as I've been in the past 5 years. And yes, my game has really suffered because of it.

Back then I would say that I had a better than 50% chance of running out with ball in hand. The games we played easily averaged under 2 innings. A typical game would be where one guy would break and if he didn't run out or leave a good safe then he wouldn't get back to the table.

Now today is another story, I would say that I have less than a 10% chance of running out. I shoot hot & cold, but mostly cold. I can't even get a 200 in Bowlliards anymore, now I shoot between 150 & 180.
Signature: [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=seagreen][B]You'll never become an old dog if you keep learning new tricks ;)[/B][/COLOR][/FONT] [/CENTER]
Slowhand is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #5
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to BVal's Reputation Add to BVal's Reputation
I would say 50% of the time I will leave the 7,8,9 or the 8,9. 25% of the time more than the 7,8,9. The other 25% of the time I run out. Although lately the runout has gone up quite a bit and the more than 7,8,9 has gone down quite a bit.

BVal
BVal is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #6
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Networking:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHQ View Post
my best in 9 ball is 3 break & runs in a row, done that several times. can't get over the hump to get 4
straight pool is a 38 ball run ( i needed 54 to win)
one pocket is 1 break & run
i've got a certain knack for dogging the "easy shots"
lack of concentration i know
i'll usually pick stripes 90% of the time in 8 ball even if i've made a solid on break
the reason is, i'm so stinking colorblind when it comes to the 6 ball
it looks like the table to me
sometimes i get lucky & the number spot on ball is the aiming point
other than that, i can't see the green ball
i can't begin to count how many 9 ball games i've lost by doggin the 6
if i make the 6 on the break, i feel like i already won the game!!!
i hate the green ball !!!!!!!!!
Wow, that's quite a natural disadvantage to be at. You may try and focus outside of the green color of the ball and look at it as almost transparent and see if that helps.
Signature: [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]I learn from my mistakes and laugh at yours. LOL[/COLOR][/SIZE]
A-Train is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #7
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Networking:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
During the 90's I was playing over 10 times as much pool per week as I've been in the past 5 years. And yes, my game has really suffered because of it.

Back then I would say that I had a better than 50% chance of running out with ball in hand. The games we played easily averaged under 2 innings. A typical game would be where one guy would break and if he didn't run out or leave a good safe then he wouldn't get back to the table.

Now today is another story, I would say that I have less than a 10% chance of running out. I shoot hot & cold, but mostly cold. I can't even get a 200 in Bowlliards anymore, now I shoot between 150 & 180.
That is about the speed my friends and I play at. Most of our games go 2-3 innings tops. Usually the person breaks and runs to like 6 or 7 or 8, and that's usually that.
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #8
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to BHQ's Reputation Add to BHQ's Reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
Wow, that's quite a natural disadvantage to be at. You may try and focus outside of the green color of the ball and look at it as almost transparent and see if that helps.
and on top of that, i'm blind in my right eye.!!!!!!
i'll still play anybody , whether i lose or not, i dont care. lol .
i'm thinking of taking a 6 ball and painting it some bright color
and switching it out when my opponent isn't looking
people have asked me how the hell i drive
green light is on the bottom
unless you're in indianapolis and the lights go side to side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
been there done that once

Last edited by BHQ : February 13th, 2007 at 01:47 AM.
Signature: [SIZE="3"][B][CENTER]i'm just an old broken down EX plumber
looking for a better way to spend my day
i finally found it
making sawdust
and having a blast doing so
;)
[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
BHQ is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #9
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Networking:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHQ View Post
and on top of that, i'm blind in my right eye.!!!!!!
i'll still play anybody , whether i lose or not, i dont care. lol .
i'm thinking of taking a 6 ball and painting it some bright color
and switching it out when my opponent isn't looking
people have asked me how the hell i drive
green light is on the bottom
unless you're in indianapolis and the lights go side to side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
been there done that once

I actually lol'd. bwahahaha

You are a trip man.