It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Home Pool Cue Forums Chat Room Arcade PoolHall Directory Pro Events Billards Photos Web Links Contact Legal Notice Documents

Go Back   Billiards-Talk Forums > Pool & Billiards Discussion > General Pool & Billiards Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM   #1
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to Bishop's Reputation Add to Bishop's Reputation
A game situation I'd never seen before.

I was playing 9-ball yesterday and my father in-law hung the 3 ball deep in the corner pocket, but it didn't fall. It was a real tight shot for me so I was going to try to sneak the cue ball around an objectball with a bit masse and take the cusion first to try to gain shape on the 4. Well I missed the 3 completely so it was ball in hand back to my father in-law. He sets the cue ball down and before he gets a chance to shot the 3 ball just fell into the pocket. I guess it was hanging on by a thread.

So is the 3 spotted or does it stay down and we move onto the 4 or is it my shot on the 4 since it fell right after my shot even though I missed it. I left the 3 down and gave him ball in hand on the 4 just to avoid conflict since non of us knew what to do.
Bishop is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:22 PM   #2
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 20 Add to A-Train's Reputation Add to A-Train's Reputation
Networking:
Send a message via AIM to A-Train
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I was playing 9-ball yesterday and my father in-law hung the 3 ball deep in the corner pocket, but it didn't fall. It was a real tight shot for me so I was going to try to sneak the cue ball around an objectball with a bit masse and take the cusion first to try to gain shape on the 4. Well I missed the 3 completely so it was ball in hand back to my father in-law. He sets the cue ball down and before he gets a chance to shot the 3 ball just fell into the pocket. I guess it was hanging on by a thread.

So is the 3 spotted or does it stay down and we move onto the 4 or is it my shot on the 4 since it fell right after my shot even though I missed it. I left the 3 down and gave him ball in hand on the 4 just to avoid conflict since non of us knew what to do.
My opinion is that the 3 stays down and your father-in-law is to take ball in hand as usual. Had you not fouled, he wouldn't be taking ball in hand, he'd play it where it lied.
Signature: [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]I learn from my mistakes and laugh at yours. LOL[/COLOR][/SIZE]
A-Train is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM   #3
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 22 Add to djkx1's Reputation Add to djkx1's Reputation
I'm 98.3% sure I have read or heard that the 5 second rule applies. If it falls before 5 seconds it counts for the shooter. If it falls after 5 seconds it is re-spotted where it was and the shot goes to the incoming player. It seems to me I heard this recently on a TV match with Danny DiLiberto mentioning this rule.

In your example it should have been spotted and he would have had BIH.
Signature: Take care, Darren
djkx1 is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:18 PM   #4
User Information:
Forum Activity:
It would still count even though I didn't make contact with it but actually shot at it?
Bishop is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM   #5
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Quote:
It would still count even though I didn't make contact with it but actually shot at it?
I forgot about that part. LOL
I dont know That is a dilema
I'll do some research and get back to you, if I remember

After some research here is my answer. Missing the ball is a foul either way. So he would have BIH. The ball dropped after 5 seconds of being motionless so it would come up. Below is a snip from the BCA rules.

3.31 BALLS MOVING SPONTANEOUSLY
If a ball shifts, settles, turns or otherwise moves “by itself,” the ball shall remain in the position it assumed and play continues. A hanging ball that falls into a pocket “by itself” after being motionless for 5 seconds or longer shall be replaced as closely as possible to its position prior to falling, and play shall continue. If an object ball drops into a pocket “by itself” as a player shoots at it, so that the cue ball passes over the spot the ball had been on, unable to hit it, the cue ball and object ball are to be replaced to their positions prior to the stroke, and the player may shoot again. Any other object balls disturbed on the stroke are also to be replaced to their original positions before the shooter replays.

Last edited by djkx1 : April 3rd, 2007 at 02:57 PM.
djkx1 is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM   #6
User Information:
Forum Activity:
I guess that covers it. I'm willing to bet I never see something like that happen again in my lifetime.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM   #7
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Quote:
I guess that covers it. I'm willing to bet I never see something like that happen again in my lifetime.
You should contact BCA and explain the shot. Perhaps they could include a "Bishop clause" in their rules for that situation, just in case.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #8
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to BHQ's Reputation Add to BHQ's Reputation
the ball gets respotted as close to where it was as possible
we've had that situation several times in the leagues i play in
somebody looked it up

read paragraph 3:31
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournam.../rls_gen.shtml

Last edited by BHQ : April 3rd, 2007 at 03:51 PM.
Signature: [SIZE="3"][B][CENTER]i'm just an old broken down EX plumber
looking for a better way to spend my day
i finally found it
making sawdust
and having a blast doing so
;)
[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
BHQ is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM   #9
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkx1 View Post
You should contact BCA and explain the shot. Perhaps they could include a "Bishop clause" in their rules for that situation, just in case.
They should have a Bishop clause reguardless
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM   #10
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to BHQ's Reputation Add to BHQ's Reputation
a couple years ago me & my buddy new york joe were playing on the new 9ft. olhausens that the local place just bought
we had two balls locked up in the pocket, 5 & 7
no matter how hard we hit them, neither would drop
the cue ball was flying everywhere but those suckers wouldn't budge
if that happened in a tournament or a league situation, i have no idea what rule would come into play
Signature: [SIZE="3"][B][CENTER]i'm just an old broken down EX plumber
looking for a better way to spend my day
i finally found it
making sawdust
and having a blast doing so
;)
[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
BHQ is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:55 PM   #11
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHQ View Post
a couple years ago me & my buddy new york joe were playing on the new 9ft. olhausens that the local place just bought
we had two balls locked up in the pocket, 5 & 7
no matter how hard we hit them, neither would drop
the cue ball was flying everywhere but those suckers wouldn't budge
if that happened in a tournament or a league situation, i have no idea what rule would come into play
Paragraph 3:33 of the rules you posted earlier. And for the last time, I dont live in an igloo!
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #12
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to George's Reputation Add to George's Reputation
Networking:
It was more then 5 seconds I would of put the ball back as close to the pocket as I can and continue with his ball in hand.
George is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote