It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Home Pool Cue Forums Chat Room Arcade PoolHall Directory Pro Events Billards Photos Web Links Contact Legal Notice Documents

Go Back   Billiards-Talk Forums > Pool & Billiards Discussion > General Pool & Billiards Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your favorite game to play
9 Ball 10 52.63%
8 Ball 3 15.79%
Striaght Pool 1 5.26%
One Pocket 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 12th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #1
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to BVal's Reputation Add to BVal's Reputation
What is your favorite game to play?

My personal favorite is 9 ball. I am sure I would enjoy 1 pocket and straight pool but just do not play them. I think I am going to start soon - then my answer might change.

BVal
BVal is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #2
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to acedotcom's Reputation Add to acedotcom's Reputation
I'm going with 9-ball, too.

Straight pool's too frustrating. When I was a kid, I could run 50-60 balls like rolling off a log. Now, I have trouble running a rack. And, the ideal break shot is a shot I have trouble with now. Forgetaboutit!

I'm not in love with 8-ball, but I don't mind playing by Texas Express rules.

One-hole? Maybe when I grow up. Right now I have enough trouble making the balls in 6 holes.

I would enjoy some 50 cent Chicago or Pill Pool if I could find players willing to partake.
Signature: [CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]"Winners make shots; losers excuses."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[URL="http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com"]My Pool Store[/URL]
[URL="http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com/vangoghsnightcafe.html"]Van Gogh's Pool Table[/URL]
[URL="http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com/billiardsphotos.html"]Celebrities Shooting Pool[/URL]
[URL="http://www.myspace.com/aces_spaces"]My MySpace Profile[/URL]
acedotcom is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #3
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to shexcpoolgawdess's Reputation Add to shexcpoolgawdess's Reputation
Networking:
Send a message via AIM to shexcpoolgawdess Send a message via MSN to shexcpoolgawdess Send a message via Yahoo to shexcpoolgawdess
Smile it doesn't matter to me

so it really doesn't matter to me which game I play...as long as I get to play.

7, 8, 9, straight, one pocket, three cushion etc.......
Signature: [FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]~*~ShEx~C~pOoLgAwDeSs~*~[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
shexcpoolgawdess is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #4
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 10 Add to Slowhand's Reputation Add to Slowhand's Reputation
Keeps changing, but right now it's back to 8-ball.
I guess the question could be, which one are you currently least bored of.
Right now, I'm really tired of 9-ball.
Signature: [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=seagreen][B]You'll never become an old dog if you keep learning new tricks ;)[/B][/COLOR][/FONT] [/CENTER]
Slowhand is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #5
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 20 Add to A-Train's Reputation Add to A-Train's Reputation
Networking:
Send a message via AIM to A-Train
OMG, I HATE ONE POCKET.

Not that I don't respect the game, I just can't stand the tempo of it. I go to a pool room to make balls in holes, not beat around the bush all night.

9 ball reigns supreme in my world.

Straight pool is also a favorite of mine, I rarely play 8 ball.
Signature: [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]I learn from my mistakes and laugh at yours. LOL[/COLOR][/SIZE]
A-Train is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #6
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to jgpool's Reputation Add to jgpool's Reputation
Lineup Anyone?

I learned on Lineup, then 8-Ball on bar boxes, now 9-Ball 9 Fter's, it's fun to let whitey do some things!!
Signature: _____________________________________________
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I came into this world with absolutely nothing and I still have most of it!_____________________________________________[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial Black"]Joe G[/FONT] :rolleyes: :)
Playing Cue: JOSS West (#17, 1983)
Other Cues: David Howard DH-3 by Meucci,
Viking Z90, McDermott D-5, JOSS Limited,
and 2 Schmelke A40s.
10-20 Hrs Wk
Colorado Springs, CO
jgpool is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #7
User Information:
Forum Activity:
I think this poll is a little biased, it's like asking "What's your favorite color? Red or Blue?" It just gives you 4 choices and disregards everything else. If you're going to list one pocket, then why didn't you list games like snooker, golf, bowlliards, rotation 8, 7 ball, 10 ball, 15 ball, carom or bank pool? I went for a while only playing rotation 8. We were playing 15 ball tonight and only had one BNR, if we were playing 9 ball then you could go games before getting to the table.

Why is it that everyone loves 9 ball so much? I think it has more to do with being the tournament game that gets the most TV coverage. I'm sure if TV switched to something else, most of those same people would start to love that other game instead. But just because TV likes it, doesn't mean it's the most fun or challenging game to play. It could also be that they grew up playing 8 ball, as most of us did, that they're so sick and tired of it that anything else is an improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I think that both 8 & 9 ball are great games, it's just that there are a lot of different games that you can play on a pool table. And if more people were open to trying those games, they may find something they like better than just the old standards. Or at least something to break the monotony of playing the same old game for ever and ever.
Signature: [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=seagreen][B]You'll never become an old dog if you keep learning new tricks ;)[/B][/COLOR][/FONT] [/CENTER]
Slowhand is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #8
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to shexcpoolgawdess's Reputation Add to shexcpoolgawdess's Reputation
Networking:
Send a message via AIM to shexcpoolgawdess Send a message via MSN to shexcpoolgawdess Send a message via Yahoo to shexcpoolgawdess
Thumbs up point well made

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
I think this poll is a little biased, it's like asking "What's your favorite color? Red or Blue?" It just gives you 4 choices and disregards everything else. If you're going to list one pocket, then why didn't you list games like snooker, golf, bowlliards, rotation 8, 7 ball, 10 ball, 15 ball, carom or bank pool? I went for a while only playing rotation 8. We were playing 15 ball tonight and only had one BNR, if we were playing 9 ball then you could go games before getting to the table.

Why is it that everyone loves 9 ball so much? I think it has more to do with being the tournament game that gets the most TV coverage. I'm sure if TV switched to something else, most of those same people would start to love that other game instead. But just because TV likes it, doesn't mean it's the most fun or challenging game to play. It could also be that they grew up playing 8 ball, as most of us did, that they're so sick and tired of it that anything else is an improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I think that both 8 & 9 ball are great games, it's just that there are a lot of different games that you can play on a pool table. And if more people were open to trying those games, they may find something they like better than just the old standards. Or at least something to break the monotony of playing the same old game for ever and ever.

ahhh i agree with you on that one!
Signature: [FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]~*~ShEx~C~pOoLgAwDeSs~*~[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
shexcpoolgawdess is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #9
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Quote:

The poll might have seemed less biased if an "Other" category had been included. That way we would at least know how many weren't pleased with their options but voted anyway.

I've been running a poll on my pool home page (http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com/) for a few years. As of this morning, here are the totals:

WHAT IS YOUR GAME OF CHOICE?

Nine Ball 485 (28%)
Eight Ball 566 (33%)
Straight Pool 131 (7%)
One-Pocket 33 (1%)
3-Cushion Billiards 36 (2%)
Snooker 102 (6%)
Other 21 (1%)

When I started the poll there wasn't much talk about 7 ball or 10 ball or I might have included them. The omission of bank pool was a mistake on my part. As for the novelty games, like cribbage, etc., there are just too many of them and should probably be the subject of another poll.

One thing, the universe of players who visit my site and vote may be different from the universe of those who visit this forum.

Signature: [CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]"Winners make shots; losers excuses."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[URL="http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com/vangoghsnightcafe.html"]Van Gogh's Pool Table[/URL]
[URL="http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com/billiardsphotos.html"]Celebrities Shooting Pool[/URL]
acedotcom is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #10
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Quote:
Originally Posted by acedotcom View Post
The poll might have seemed less biased if an "Other" category had been included. That way we would at least know how many weren't pleased with their options but voted anyway.

I've been running a poll on my pool home page (http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com/) for a few years. As of this morning, here are the totals:

WHAT IS YOUR GAME OF CHOICE?

Nine Ball 485 (28%)
Eight Ball 566 (33%)
Straight Pool 131 (7%)
One-Pocket 33 (1%)
3-Cushion Billiards 36 (2%)
Snooker 102 (6%)
Other 21 (1%)

When I started the poll there wasn't much talk about 7 ball or 10 ball or I might have included them. The omission of bank pool was a mistake on my part. As for the novelty games, like cribbage, etc., there are just too many of them and should probably be the subject of another poll.

One thing, the universe of players who visit my site and vote may be different from the universe of those who visit this forum.

Exactly my point, I think "Other" should have been included as an option. I think your list of choices better represents the common games being played in pool halls today, plus it gives the option for ones not listed. Although I see one pocket being played all the time, I still view it as a novelty game. Thank you for posting those results.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #11
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 10 Add to 219Dave's Reputation Add to 219Dave's Reputation
I just got my first home table last month and virtually all of my friends that are casual recreational players only play 8 ball. Only one or two people I know play 9 ball.

So who I'm playing with usually dictates what I play.

We actually end up playing a decent amount of cutthroat when there are three of us.

BTW, what are the Texas express rules of 8 ball mentioned above?
219Dave is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #12
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Quote:

I guess I should have said "out of these 4 games which one is your favorite to play" Apparently I need to work on my "poll" skills. I did not intend to be biased or hurt anyones feelings for leaving a game off of the poll. My bad. Next time before I start a poll I will do the proper research to include everything.

BVal
BVal is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #13
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVal View Post
I guess I should have said "out of these 4 games which one is your favorite to play" Apparently I need to work on my "poll" skills. I did not intend to be biased or hurt anyones feelings for leaving a game off of the poll. My bad. Next time before I start a poll I will do the proper research to include everything.

BVal
No, I'm sorry. I was a little out of line, I was drunk at the time I posted that.
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #14
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 219Dave;
BTW, what are the Texas express rules of 8 ball mentioned above?
In a nutshell, all table fouls (miss your own group or ball, knock a ball off the table, or scratch) and the opponent gets Ball In Hand anywhere on the table. All balls stay down, nothing gets spotted.

Old January 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #15
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Quote:
No, I'm sorry. I was a little out of line, I was drunk at the time I posted that.
Its all good. I do see your point though. There are many other games that I didn't even think of.

BVal