It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Home Pool Cue Forums Chat Room Arcade PoolHall Directory Pro Events Billards Photos Web Links Contact Legal Notice Documents

Go Back   Billiards-Talk Forums > Pool & Billiards Discussion > General Pool & Billiards Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 29th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #1
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to jgpool's Reputation Add to jgpool's Reputation
Tip Removal

Anybody have any hints on how to remove a tip from a cue stick?
Signature: _____________________________________________
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I came into this world with absolutely nothing and I still have most of it!_____________________________________________[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial Black"]Joe G[/FONT] :rolleyes: :)
Playing Cue: JOSS West (#17, 1983)
Other Cues: David Howard DH-3 by Meucci,
Viking Z90, McDermott D-5, JOSS Limited,
and 2 Schmelke A40s.
10-20 Hrs Wk
Colorado Springs, CO
jgpool is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #2
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffduke View Post
Do you have any tip removal / retipping tools? Here's what I do...You decide for yourself. I take a razor blade with my tip on a block of wood as not to scratch anything important, cut the tip off leaving about 1/8 inch of the tip left. I get my sander out and onto my shaft in place for "shaving" the tip...this sander has coarse sandpaper on it to make it quick, then once my tip is almost gone, I change the sandpaper to a really fine grit sandpaper to finishg it off without sanding away alot of the ferrule once the tip is gone. inside the clamp that goes onto the shaft, I place a penny roll as not to scratch my shaft while doing it. this sander can be found at mueller.com, and its less than $20 with sandpaper refills being about $5 I think. If I don't feel like doing this, and usually I don't, I just run my shaft down to Bob DZ and let him change it for me...He's only about 10min. away from me! Any more ??, pm me and I'll try to help you...or I can point you in the right direction if I can't.
Thanks,

I have the sander on my list to order from Muellers and other stuff necessary for the process. I just have not put the order in yet. You just confirmed that the sander will work and that was what I was looking for, confirmation. Once again you have the right answer. I will be trying this on some bar cues first. Thanks again. I knew I could count on Billiards-Talk and their expertise.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I came into this world with absolutely nothing and I still have most of it!_____________________________________________[/FONT]

and 2 Schmelke A40s.
10-20 Hrs Wk
Colorado Springs, CO
jgpool is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #3
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 10 Add to CaptainHook's Reputation Add to CaptainHook's Reputation
That will be great, being able to Re-tip your own cues. If I could do that, I would be trying out different tips all the time, til I found one I really liked.

If I tried anything like that, the Tip would wind up cockeyed, I would have two or more fingers glued together and a blob of glue would drip down the shaft and I would wind up with the entire shaft glued to the table.

I take mine to a local guy, lives about 10 minutes from my house.

Post some pics when you get it all set up.
CaptainHook is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #4
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to acedotcom's Reputation Add to acedotcom's Reputation
With my better cues, I take them to Roger, the tip guy at Capone's. Since I have a supply of Sniper and Tiger tips, he'll put them on for me for $10.

With my el-cheapo Players that I use for bars, it's not worth it to pay $10 for a tip change since 5 tip changes would cost me the price of a new el-cheapo. I remove the old tips with a razor blade of a carpet knife, shaving it as close to the end of the ferrule as I can. Then I switch to the sander. It's the same as the others described here. I too put something between the clamp and the shaft to prevent indentations but you have to be careful that this padding doesn't screw up the alignment. Otherwise you might wind up with a slanted cock-eyed ferrule. I did that once.

Last thing I do before gluing with superglue gel is sand the bottom of the tip by running it back and forth over some fine sandpaper.
Signature: [CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]"Winners make shots; losers excuses."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[URL="http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com"]My Pool Store[/URL]
[URL="http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com/vangoghsnightcafe.html"]Van Gogh's Pool Table[/URL]
[URL="http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com/billiardsphotos.html"]Celebrities Shooting Pool[/URL]
[URL="http://www.myspace.com/aces_spaces"]My MySpace Profile[/URL]
acedotcom is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #5
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Glued Fingers

This is all good info. I will probably get my fingers glued together too! But the bright side of this is that it will more than likely improve my bridge.

I can take them in to get them re-tipped but I just thought it would be something else that I could learn. New things like this help me stay centered when they show me how incompetent I am with new stuff.

and 2 Schmelke A40s.
10-20 Hrs Wk
Colorado Springs, CO
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #6
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to George's Reputation Add to George's Reputation
Networking:
I cut mine off with a pair of pvc pipe cutters. Nice smooth cut. Then I sand down the rest with fine sand paper.
George is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #7
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 20 Add to A-Train's Reputation Add to A-Train's Reputation
Networking:
Send a message via AIM to A-Train
There is a guy at my local hall who does this on the side. He'll change your tip and ferrule for like $15.

I need a new tip, thanks for the reminder.
Signature: [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]I learn from my mistakes and laugh at yours. LOL[/COLOR][/SIZE]
A-Train is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #8
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Just Got It

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffduke View Post
Do you have any tip removal / retipping tools? Here's what I do...You decide for yourself. I take a razor blade with my tip on a block of wood as not to scratch anything important, cut the tip off leaving about 1/8 inch of the tip left. I get my sander out and onto my shaft in place for "shaving" the tip...this sander has coarse sandpaper on it to make it quick, then once my tip is almost gone, I change the sandpaper to a really fine grit sandpaper to finishg it off without sanding away alot of the ferrule once the tip is gone. inside the clamp that goes onto the shaft, I place a penny roll as not to scratch my shaft while doing it. this sander can be found at mueller.com, and its less than $20 with sandpaper refills being about $5 I think. If I don't feel like doing this, and usually I don't, I just run my shaft down to Bob DZ and let him change it for me...He's only about 10min. away from me! Any more ??, pm me and I'll try to help you...or I can point you in the right direction if I can't.
I just received the tip sander and refils, some tips, glue and tip holders. Now I have to get to work. Thanks for the right direction backed by your tried and true experience.

and 2 Schmelke A40s.
10-20 Hrs Wk
Colorado Springs, CO
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #9
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to BHQ's Reputation Add to BHQ's Reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgpool View Post
Anybody have any hints on how to remove a tip from a cue stick?
loan the cue to a goofy 17 year old trying to do masse shots!!!
or cut it off with a razor knife

Signature: [SIZE="3"][B][CENTER]i'm just an old broken down EX plumber
looking for a better way to spend my day
i finally found it
making sawdust
and having a blast doing so
;)
[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
BHQ is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote