It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Home Pool Cue Forums Chat Room Arcade PoolHall Directory Pro Events Billards Photos Web Links Contact Legal Notice Documents

Go Back   Billiards-Talk Forums > Pool & Billiards Discussion > General Pool & Billiards Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM   #1
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to Maniac's Reputation Add to Maniac's Reputation
Relax a few rules for a better website

I have noticed that the APA, BCA, and TAP forums are hardly used at all. Could it be because of Rule #1 on the Forum Rules that states: "Do not bash the league. If you don't like the league or have something bad to say, keep it to yourself." ???
IMO, I believe ALL people's perspectives should be posted on a forum such as this. It is for the good of everyone to know what reason somebody may have to post negative comments. It's healthy for people to vent. I don't want only to read goody-two-shoes posts all the time, nor do I want to post only those kinds of posts either.
Now I have noticed a post/thread on the General forum where some guy had some lusty feelings for another female member here, posted it and got PM'ed. It all got worked out but I think the moderator jumped-the-gun a little bit. I also belong to a motorcycle website where such harmless banter between male and female members goes on all the time. It's fun to read. The majority of the membership indulges in it (5,000+ members) and it makes for a friendly, relaxed website.
If someone has a problem with something someone says about them personally or even negatives comments about a league, let it get handled by the two disagreeing parties before moderation/penalties occur. It will make for a much looser and more enjoyable site. Who needs more stress??? And please, let me read people's negative views too!!!
Let's lighten up here. O.K.???

Maniac
Maniac is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM   #2
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to BVal's Reputation Add to BVal's Reputation
I agree - we should be able to read all different views - good or bad.
BVal
BVal is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM   #3
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 11 Add to BHQ's Reputation Add to BHQ's Reputation
as long as it doesn't get vicious
wow!! there have been some posts on az that i just can't understand
name calling, slander, whatever
i hope there is never any of that on here
i feel some people are braver behind a keyboard than they normally would be in person
Signature: [SIZE="3"][B][CENTER]i'm just an old broken down EX plumber
looking for a better way to spend my day
i finally found it
making sawdust
and having a blast doing so
;)
[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
BHQ is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:01 AM   #4
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 22 Add to djkx1's Reputation Add to djkx1's Reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHQ View Post

i feel some people are braver behind a keyboard than they normally would be in person
I think this is a massive understatement, but so very true.

In regards to the original post, I really don't care to play league and if I posted in the league sections I would find it hard to not have some negative comments. However since it is pointless to just complain about my dislikes, I would also try to find good stuff to say. As it stands, I dont play league anymore so I don't have much to say about it either way. I think if someone has a viewpoint that could benifit others, it should be allowed even if it has some negative aspects to it.
Signature: Take care, Darren
djkx1 is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:33 AM   #5
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 10 Add to Slowhand's Reputation Add to Slowhand's Reputation
There's a thing called constructive criticism, where you can point out a person's negative aspects without actually bashing them. However, on AZ there have been threads started for the sole purpose of criticizing another member. If I owned a pool hall and some patrons started a fight, I wouldn't want them back. In a forum, all you have is words so, the content of what you post is equivalent your actions. If you start a flame war here then it's no different to a fist fight in a brick & mortar establishment.

The point of these rules is not to prevent everyone from posting anything negative, it's to limit those that like to post things that are mostly negative. It's perfectly fine to say negative things here, as long as you don't cross the line into slander or flat out ridicule.

What you can say is,,,
I don't like fiberglass cues, or even Cuetec cues, because they have plastic coated shafts and are sticky. In my opinion, they're cheap pieces of crap.

What you shouldn't say is,,,
If you play with a Cuetec, you're a F'in' a-hole like (fill in a name).

When it comes to this rule,,,
Quote:
1) Do not bash the league. If you don't like the league or have something bad to say keep it to yourself!!
Just don't go off on a rant about how you hate a particular league. Now I know of leagues that play on 7ft bar boxes, and I don't classify a bar box as a real pool table. So you can see that I could have problems with some leagues. But when you think about it, any league is better than no league. They are all promoting our favorite sport, pool. So no matter how much you may dislike a league, there are groups of people that truly enjoy participating in it. If you don't like it, then find one you do like or try starting one yourself. Bashing something only serves to bring it down, and we would prefer to see the sport grow instead dwindle.

Come on people, we just want this forum to be civilized. We don't want it taken over by a bunch of people acting like 12 year olds. Just use common sense here.
Signature: [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=seagreen][B]You'll never become an old dog if you keep learning new tricks ;)[/B][/COLOR][/FONT] [/CENTER]
Slowhand is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:21 AM   #6
User Information:
Forum Activity:
Score: 20 Add to A-Train's Reputation Add to A-Train's Reputation
Networking:
Send a message via AIM to A-Train
I couldn't be more in favor of this.

I'm kind of a joker and I've made a few enemies around here by pushing a few limits. It's my personal opinion that there are some people with a position of power who don't have a thick enough skin for the job.
Signature: [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]I learn from my mistakes and laugh at yours. LOL[/COLOR][/SIZE]
A-Train is offline   Submit to Clesto --> Submit to Digg Stumble It Technorati Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote